WHAT IS MEDICATION SYNCHRONIZATION?
Medication synchronization is when the pharmacist coordinates the refill of your medications so you can pick them up on a single day each month. Many people miss doses of their regular medications and med sync can make you more likely to take them. Med Sync does the following:
- Eliminates the need to call in multiple prescription refills
- Allows you the convenience of fewer trips to the pharmacy
- Provides an opportunity to meet with your pharmacist on a regular basis to discuss your medications.
- Automatically calls the Doctor for a refill request, so you don’t have to go without medication
HOW IT WORKS
- Talk to your pharmacist/technician about enrolling in their med sync program.
- Once enrolled, pharmacy staff will review your ongoing monthly medications and develop a plan to synchronize them so they can be picked up on a single day each month that is convenient for you.
- Pharmacy staff will call you to confirm your pick up date about a week prior and identify any necessary changes that should take place before your prescriptions are filled. Be sure to let them know if you are no longer taking a medication or if directions/dose has changed.
- After reviewing any changes to your medications, the pharmacy staff will prepare each prescription and make it available for easy pick up on your scheduled date.
- On your scheduled day, you pick up all of your prescriptions at the pharmacy. At that time, you can ask the pharmacist any questions that you may have about your medication.
- The process repeats itself each month so that you can pick up all of your medications at once, and the pharmacist can identify potential issues to help you take your medication as prescribed.
- Some people may opt to have their prescriptions filled in monthly “Bubble Packs”. The Pharmacists sets you medications up in packaging with the days of the week, and the time of the day you take it. This can be very helpful for people on multiple medications or can sometimes be forgetful.
Why should I care about synchronizing my medications?
One-third of patients have missed a dose of their medication because they didn’t refill their prescription before it ran out. If you are not taking your medication as prescribed or missing or skipping doses, it can have serious side effects on your health including death. Through med sync, the pharmacist/technician proactively refills your prescription so that you don’t have to remember to call the pharmacy and they work closely with you to make sure that your medications are working for you and being taken properly.
Will there be an additional cost or monthly fees?
There is no additional cost to you. The goal of med sync is for the pharmacist to synchronize your medications in the most convenient and cost efficient manner for you. Often times, the pharmacist will dispense a shorter or longer supply of medication for your first med sync pick up so that you can maintain your insurance coverage. It is best to ask your pharmacist/technician about their strategy for synchronizing your medication.
Will all of my medications be included if I chose to participate in a med sync program?
There are some medications that are not appropriate for a med sync program, such as antibiotics, ointments, eye drops, and “as-needed” medications. Those type of prescriptions can be phoned in when needed.
Give the pharmacy a call, or stop by and ask how you can become enrolled. That is the first step! And, if you have any questions, don’t forget to ask!